Dorm Room Cooking: Easy Meals & Recipes
21 Sep, 2016
Let’s face it – you won’t be eating gourmet when you head off to college. The cafeteria food is sometimes awesome (and sometimes not) and you’ll likely have some late night pizza nights here and there. There’s a reason everyone jokes about college students surviving off of low-cost microwavable flavored noodles. They are cheap and easy. But there are so many other delicious and easy dorm room meals you can make with minimal effort! Below we share a few of our favorites.
As a cautionary note, be sure to adhere to your school’s rules about the small appliances allowed in a dorm room. Some allow microwaves and mini refrigerators, while others may even allow slow cookers or blenders, or perhaps nothing at all. Make sure you check beforehand!
Make it in a mug
Throw some ingredients in a mug, pop it in the microwave and eat it right out of the container you cooked it in. Dorm room food at it’s finest!
Here are some easy meal in a mug recipes:
- Oatmeal in a mug: Great for breakfast in a pinch. Plus, you can add fruit, flax seed and seasonings like cinnamon to make it more flavorful and healthy
- Two minute French toast in a cup: Two minutes you say? Two minutes to French Toast? Yes, please!
- Scrambled eggs: So easy and so many variations. Cheese, herbs, veggies? Throw them in!
Slow cooking with three ingredients
Again, first make sure your school allows for crockpots in the dorms! We’ve limited our picks to recipes with three ingredients to make crockpot cooking even simpler.
- Hawaiian chicken: Chicken, pineapple and BBQ sauce. That’s it!
- Beef tacos: Ground beef, taco seasoning, 1 can of Rotel tomatoes. Tortillas or chips are probably a nice addition, but you could eat the ground beef straight if you really want to stick with three ingredients
- Apple dump cake: Dessert? Yum. Can of apple pie filling, box of yellow cake mix, stick of butter and four hours later, you feast!
Blend it up
Blenders can be used for more than just smoothies and milk shakes. Here’s a few dorm room recipes you can make in the blender:
- Salsa: This is delicious and easy to make in a blender and it’s the perfect snack for college students. There are so many recipes so mix it up! Start with this easy and standard recipe from The Baker Mama
- Tomato soup: There are TONS of soup recipes for blenders – here’s a great one to start with. Bonus that it only uses three ingredients
- Cashew butter: Creamy, delicious and easy. Plus, this may be a great option for anyone allergic to peanuts (no peanut butter) but not allergic to cashews
Make the most of your dorm room with hhgregg!
With school already in session, you’ve got your basics – sheets, a desk lamp, laptop or desktop computer and a few decorations. Now that you are settling in, if you need any last minute additions, hhgregg is the perfect place to turn to. Browse our TV deals to find a set for your dorm, or shop for an Xbox One Console and start a floor-wide gaming contest. Whatever you might need, stop by your local hhgregg or browse our selection online.