How to Make Red Onion Marmalade: KitchenAid Stand Mixer Recipe
12 Jan, 2017
Last modified: January 12th, 2017
Are you tired of using the same old condiments? Make your own healthy marmalade with this easy and tasty red onion marmalade recipe!
What is red onion marmalade?
A preserve similar to jam, red onion marmalade works as a great accompaniment to crackers, cheese, burgers or anything that you think needs an extra zing of flavor.
What else can you use red onion marmalade for? It’s a great alternative sauce to tomatoes and works well on flatbreads and homemade pizzas. Plus, it works well as a condiment to enhance red meats. You can also try it on lamb and duck.
Join Chef Jon Oliver and hhgregg in the kitchen as they create Red Onion Marmalade using the KitchenAid Stand Mixer. They demonstrate the use of the slicing horn, an attachment for the mixer, which keeps the tears away while you slice the onions.
Red Onion Marmalade Recipe
- 3 red onions (peeled and halved
- 2 cups red wine (cooking)
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Using the slicing horn on the KitchenAid Stand Mixer, slice the red onions and set aside.
BONUS: No tears! The Stand Mixer does the cutting for you, so you won’t tear up as you chop onions.
- In a heavy stainless pot over medium heat, melt butter and brown the onions until well caramelized, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the red wine and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add sugar and thyme and continue reducing until mixture thickens to a jam-like consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to cool before enjoying.
Video: How to Make Red Onion Marmalade
Learn how to make red onion marmalade with a KitchenAid Stand Mixer.