How To Organize Your Family TV Room
27 Feb, 2013
No matter where you look these days, people have images of their family room with the perfect TV size and placement of furniture. Whether you love to entertain or simply want to create the ultimate setup for your family to watch the latest shows, here are some tips to make your family room look like a professionally decorated space:
1. Choose where to place your TV
- No matter how big or small your TV is, it should not be the focal point of the room. Instead, it should be an accent. This is why it is important to get the right size TV for your room and space.
- Before you go out to purchase a TV, pick out the placement of where you would like the TV to be, and use that space as your tool to decide which TV size would be the best for your living space. You can also refer to our article on choosing the right size TV.
- Hang your TV at eye-level – to achieve this, sit on your couch or where you would normally view the TV, and stare at the place on the wall in which you find viewing the most comfortable.
- Avoid placing the TV near anything reflective (for example, mirrors or windows).
2. Arrange furniture based on TV position
- Is your TV an HDTV or 4K TV? If so, you can sit closer to it than your old TV. Here are some suggested spaces between your TV and seating area:
- 46” TV = 6-10ft
- 65” TV = 8-13ft
- 70” TV = 9-15ft
- Have other things on the wall where you would like to hang your TV? It’s best to leave around 6” of space all the way around between the TV and other objects.
- Use your family room furniture to create zones. Rooms are found to be more cozy when the furniture is situated in a cube formation, boxing in the space of the room where you would like people to be.
3. Make final adjustments for a cozy space
- Always use colors and rich textures to brighten up the room and make it more inviting. Consider adding pops of color with throw pillows, rugs and artwork.
- Install window coverings on windows to reduce glare on the TV. If you have a very bright room, consider trying a plasma TV, as they help to reduce glare.
- Make sure to have a proper media center to store DVDs, cable boxes, and more. A storage center for these will also hide unsightly cords.
We hope our tips will lead you in the right direction to create the perfect family room!