How KitchenAid Can Help with Make Ahead Thanksgiving and Christmas Recipes
16 Nov, 2016
The holidays can be a truly magical time. Seeing family and friends, laughing and talking over a delicious dinner, telling stories with your coffee and pie.
Behind the scenes, there’s a lot of work that goes into preparing these sumptuous holiday meals. Admittedly, on a joyous day dedicated to being grateful for all the blessings you have, cooking for a large get-together can be a little stressful. Even with the help of several family members, it can be a daunting task that takes all day. Instead of getting up at the crack of dawn and racing the clock, spread the work over several days by using these make ahead Thanksgiving and Christmas dishes. With a little planning, cooking and organizing before the holiday kicks off, you’ll be able to make the most of the special time with loved ones.
KitchenAid can help you host big family get-togethers with ease. You’ll have plenty of room to store prepared dishes ahead of time and keep leftovers in a spacious 25.8 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator. Plus, KitchenAid’s 5-Burner Gas Cooktop and Convection Double Wall Oven makes it easy to cook multiple dishes at the same time.
Make ahead sides
Sides can easily be prepared in advance and warmed or cooked the day of! Here are a few make ahead Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner recipes you can make up to five days before the holiday:
- Mashed potatoes: Almost any mashed potato recipe can be modified to make in advance. Boil your potatoes ahead of time and combine with ingredients (salt, pepper, milk, sour cream and cream cheese). They can stay in the refrigerator up to four days in advance. Place into your slow cooker the morning of your holiday party.
- Pro tip: Use your KitchenAid® Stand Mixer’s flat beater to easily mix your mashed potatoes into a creamy mixture
- Stuffing: Prepare your stuffing with whatever recipe you prefer. The KitchenAid® Stand Mixer also comes in handy for mixing your bread crumbs and ensuring the herbs are mixed evenly. Once the ingredients are combined, spoon it into a re-sealable bag. It can be stored in the refrigerator for three days. Cook in the oven as directed the day of your party. Here are a few stuffing recipes to try:
- Gravy: There’s a false assumption that gravy can’t be prepared until after the turkey is done (using the juices from the meat). Actually, you can make it five days ahead of time and whisk in the turkey drippings when it’s being reheated. Follow whatever gravy recipe you prefer!
- Biscuits: Prepare your biscuits as normal (check out this Gluten-free Sweet Potato Biscuit Recipe). After cooling, wrap your biscuits in freezer paper and store them in a freezer bag. On the morning of your holiday party, thaw your biscuits out and reheat them. Still just as delicious as freshly baked biscuits!
- Cranberry sauce: Store up to four days ahead of time. Follow your favorite recipe – but do not add cilantro until you are ready to serve. Cranberry sauce can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Make ahead desserts
Despite that second helping of mashed potatoes, there always seems to be room for dessert. Desserts can easily be made ahead of time and will still taste just as yummy. A few ideas:
- Pie: A traditional favorite of Thanksgiving, pumpkin pie is a staple at most holiday parties. You can make both the pie shell and the filling separately ahead of time (the KitchenAid® Coated PowerkneadTM Spiral Dough Hook Accessory for KitchenAid® Stand Mixer will gently turn your pie crust ingredients to give it that perfect flaky texture) and freeze it. Cook your pie the morning of for fresh tasting pie goodness. Spice things up and serve a second pie option. Consider:
- Cookies: Cookies can easily be prepared ahead of time (as in weeks ahead of time) if frozen. There are so many cookie recipes out there so mix and match your family’s favorites to create a variety. Try:
For more recipes, visits KitchenAid’s hosting a Thanksgiving party post.
hhgregg and KitchenAid can help you be holiday ready
Be holiday ready with a kitchen full of high-quality KitchenAid® appliances when you shop at hhgregg. From double gas ovens and five-burner cooktops to spacious side-by-side refrigerators and an over-the-range microwave, your kitchen will be ready to handle a large holiday gathering! And with high-efficacy, spacious dishwashers, clean-up will be a breeze. Shop online or at your local hhgregg store today.
Holiday Dinner Timeline (Infographic)